There is a lot of competition in the workforce, not just in finding a job but also for attaining a higher position or raise. Being a good worker is not enough, most employees in a company are good. Great employees possess some special characteristics that differentiate them from the rest. They do things differently and take advantage of opportunities that are presented to them. The following are some of the traits a great employee should have:
- Takes action: waiting for instructions and only doing what is require is what an average worker does. A great employee will go further, even if it is risky. They go the extra mile to make a difference and they are the ones who take on the tough tasks others are not willing to do.
- Passion: they love their job and are enthusiastic about it. They go to work not just for a pay check or a promotion, but for the satisfaction of what they do.
- Ambition: career success is one of their main goals. Employee’s ambition is what helps a company succeed. They create new ideas and are always looking for new ways to make procedures more effective and efficient.
- Autonomy: the ability to work without supervision is key for effectiveness. A manager needs to work with people that will not require too much hand-holding or supervision. Employees who understand instructions quickly and are able to help others do so are an asset for any company.
- Energy: people with good energy and a positive attitude, are not just more productive, they also help make the work environment more enjoyable. Having someone on the team that is always positive and enthusiastic, helps others do their job better and contributes to a better workday.
- Reliability: this is one of the most important aspects, having someone you can trust and depend on is key for success. It’s imperative for a great employee to be dependable. Supervisors will be able to trust that any job given to this particular employee will be done on time and accurately. This is a person anyone can trust, and a true asset to the business.
- Knowledge: they know their job and the company well. They know how to excel on any and understand how to best meet company goals. Understanding the company’s mission is important for them and knowing their supervisor or manager’s leadership and work style is key to their success.
Being a great employee takes time and dedication. Feeling appreciated and recognized also helps motivate workers to keep doing a great job. If you are a company owner or manager make sure to focus on these characteristics in your employees, because even if they like their job, feeling undervalued will shadow all their efforts and negatively affect their performance.